Good Deeds for Children
During this holiday season, I try to emphasize the spirit of giving with my family. Last year we tried a more intentional practice of this with our 1st annual “12 Days of Good Deeds”. First, I brainstormed a list of 12 good deeds which my young children could do. I typed up a list for each child, cut them into slips and put the 12 slips into a Christmas bag with the child’s name on it. Every morning, starting on December 13th, each child picked a good deed from his/her bag. It was their goal to accomplish that good deed by dinner, when we would all share our deed-of-the-day experience. After sharing, we put our “used” slips in a box, which we wrapped and put under the tree on Christmas Eve. It was truly a beautiful season of giving….I can’t wait until this December 13th. Here is our list of good deeds. Tailor your list to your family and get ready to watch your children really sparkle with generosity this holiday season!
- Hold a door open for someone.
- Make your sister’s or brother’s bed.
- Surprise someone with a hug.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Set the table.
- Pick up trash someone else dropped.
- Do something to help your sibling(s).
- Do something to help Mom.
- Do something to help Dad.
- Call Grandparents to tell them that you love them.
- Deliver homemade cookies to a neighbor.
- Write a thank you or greeting card to someone.
- Sit by someone different at lunch.
- Help your teacher with something.
- Sharpen a friend’s pencil.
- Pick up garbage on the playground and throw it away.
What good deed could your family do?
Members to ListPlanIt will find the lists they need in Holidays & Occasions to plan for a special holiday season. Not yet a member? Join today for just $5 and get organized for holiday meal planning, gift-giving, and celebrations.