When was the Environmental Protection Agency established
Agency Vision, Mission and Strategic Goals
1. The Environmental Protection Agency was a Sanitation Sector of the Dept. of Health’s Division of Public Health during Trust Territory times until 1992. An Act S.L. No. 3L-26-92, was put into effect and established the office of Environmental Protection Agency and all responsibilities, staff and assets transferred to EPA in 1992. This Act established a Board of Directors and was given the authority to adopt, amend and create Regulations. There are 20 Regulations adopted by this Board and enforced by this office to safeguard and improve the environmental condition related to the health and welfare of the people of Pohnpei and their economic development.
Presently, Pohnpei EPA has a 7-member Board of Directors appointed by the State Governor, and confirm by the State Legislature. The Agency is currently staffed by 21 people plus 1 legal counsel (in processing for hiring). The main functions of the Agency are performed under the following Divisions: Management, Pollution Control (Permitting System), Laboratory & Safe Drinking Water, Quarantine, Establishment, Climate Change and Community Improvement, Environmental Education. Outputs of all divisions are aimed at ensuring wise use and protection of Pohnpei’s natural resources. The main function of the EPA Board is to evaluate and monitor development projects proposed through the Agency’s development project permitting process. The board also has the authority to cease development projects not complying with Permit Conditions as issued according to the Laws and Regulations.
Strategic actions and outputs of the program are financially supported primarily under the Environment Sector Grants under the Compact of Free Association, with additional supports from US Rural Development.
Pohnpei will provide sound management, preservation, and conservation of environmental, natural and cultural resources and support for economic development for the benefit of the present and future generations.
Pohnpei EPA is responsible for overseeing the wise use, protection, and preservation of Pohnpei’s resources, balancing the needs of economic and social development with those of environmental quality and respect for our traditional ways.
Vision and Mission from PEPASDP
1. Improving and enhancing the human environment through improved waste management and pollution control.
2. Enhancing the benefits of sustainable use of Pohnpei’s genetic resources and ensuring the benefits derived are fairly shared amongst all stakeholders.
3. Improving environmental awareness and education and increasing involvement of all citizenry of Pohnpei in conserving and sustainably developing the state’s natural resources.
Strategic goals adapted from FSM Strategic Planning Matrix Environment
POHNPEI EPA LAWS AND REGULATIONS
1. Pohnpei Environmental Protection Act of 1992
2. Amendment to Pohnpei Environmental Protection Act of 1992
1. Air Pollution Control Standards and Regulations
2. Barber Shop and Beauty Parlor Regulations
3. Carnival, Fair and Food Sale Regulations
Currently undergoing revision
6. Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations